There has been a dramatic decline in the number of tradespeople in the U.S., particularly plumbers. More than half of America’s trade professionals are at or nearing retirement age. The majority of high schools began discontinuing their “shop” classes a decade ago, and teenagers are not being exposed to the opportunities available for a skilled trade workforce.
Luxury Products Group is demonstrating its commitment to the future of our industry in a very tangible way — by establishing a scholarship fund for students pursuing higher education at colleges, universities or vocational schools. In 2019 we awarded the first scholarship of many.
To be considered, scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A high school senior in good standing who will be attending any secondary education that relates to the industries represented within Luxury Products Group, or a student already engaged in a secondary education program—this includes colleges and universities, design programs, trade schools, etc. To be considered, applicants must be currently taking or intend to take a minimum of 12-course hours per semester and their current GPA must be 2.5 or above.
- Applicants should be children or grandchildren of Luxury Products Group members or vendor and their employees.
- Each applicant must show a proven interest in the decorative bath and kitchen industry, and intend on remaining in the industry following secondary education completion.
- Applications must be accompanied by a 1,000- to 1,500-word essay on the future of luxury showrooms.
- The cover letter to be submitted with the application must include the following information: applicant’s name, age, address, phone number. (If an applicant is under the age of 18, the parents’ contact information must be included.) Also, the cover letter should include the name of the member or vendor the applicant is affiliated with, identify how they are connected, the name of the school an applicant currently attends, as well as the name of the post-secondary school and course of study is planned.
- Any leadership and service opportunities that applicants have been involved with should also be noted in the cover letter. Further consideration will be given for documented community service, working/volunteering for charitable causes and leadership traits that have been exhibited.
- Each applicant must also include one letter of reference from teachers or members of the community.
- Academic achievements and other accomplishments will weigh heavily. However, the committee will also closely consider the desire, passion and motivation of each candidate.
Applications received after Friday, December 18th, 2020 will not be able to be considered. At this time, scholarships are only available for applicants affiliated with wholesalers, decorative showrooms and vendors; manufacturers’ rep firms are not eligible.
Winners will be selected by the LPG Advisory Committee, along with Director Jeff MacDowell.