Jay R. Smith celebrates 75 years in business
Jay L. Smith, a New York salesman for the National Lead Co., began his fledgling corporation in 1926. Having seen a growing need for brass and bronze specialties, he arranged to have his products manufactured by other foundries.
In the 1930's, an expansion into marine products precipitated a move to Newark, N.J. Growth and expansion after World War II resulted in relocation to a new and larger facility in Union, N.J. In 1962 the company moved to Piscataway, N.J. Jay L. Smith II, the third generation of the Smith family, joined the team.
The Jay R. Smith Mfg. Co. moved to its present location in Montgomery, Ala., in 1978. The 210,000-sq.-ft. facility, which houses an office, manufacturing plant and warehouse, occupies a 33-acre site in the Gunter Industrial Park.
The company offers a line of quality-engineered plumbing and drainage products for the nonresidential construction market. In 2001 the company introduced the re-engineered Twist-To-Floor Jubilees Series cleanout.