The study indicates that companies in the industry are adopting more technological innovations and are becoming more responsive to both suppliers and customers.
Other findings include the following:
- Almost 90% of firms now have Web sites;
- About two-thirds of ASMMA firms offer a catalog on the Internet; that percentage will increase to 90% within the next year;
- More than a quarter of all companies surveyed accept orders over the Internet, a rate that will double by the end of 2001;
- More than 90% of IDA members cite reaching a broader market as a primary motivation for establishing a Web site, while nearly three-fourths of ASMMA members mention the same reason.
- Larger companies are further along the technology curve than smaller firms.
The complete report is available through IDA's Web site,