If numbers tell the story, the story is short: The Internet will be an essential part of doing business in the next century. At least that is the view of respondents to a recent survey by Industrial Distribution magazine.
Nearly half the distributors polled - 46% - already have Web sites, and 22% of those have sold products from their sites. Another 25% of respondents plan to establish a presence on the Net in the near future. Four out of five respondents have access to the Internet; most of the others will have access within a year or so.
Other findings include:
- More distributors are selling internationally, and many of their customers want them to set up operations overseas to support their foreign plants.
- Distributors are optimistic about their businesses in 2000, and they expect to hire more employees as a result.
- More than a quarter of respondents are receptive to acquisition offers.
- Integrated-supply ar-rangements continue to increase in popularity.
- More customers are formally evaluating the performance of their distributors.